Pages

Tuesday 6 January 2015

The Last Best of 2014 List of 2014

Hey everyone! Ive waited it out and checked the internet and I can confirm that yes this is the LAST best of 2014 list published on the internet, its that late. There will be no more 2014 lists after this one, everyone who is everyone has done theirs already. So you might as well stop checking and just dig in to what I have to offer.

Despite saying I have checked the internet for 2014 lists, i only skimmed the headers, I havent actually read any 2014 lists yet this year, call it laziness, lack of interest whatever, but what you'll get below is my most listened to albums of last year it will not be effected by any cool list bias cos I havent read any cool lists, and I am not cool. The list below is pure, unfiltered, virgin OPINIONS. Not to be confused with opinions of a virgin, you can get that from nme.com. BOOM!

Before I sink my nuts into some albums I wanted to give some honorable track mentions by artists that didnt make it into my album list because a) They didnt release an album b) There album wasn't good enough c) I didnt hear their album.

Foxygen - How Can You Really



One of the tracks of the year for me, sadly the album was let down by being an overblown pompous mess, if Foxygen stuck to the tunes they've proven they can write like No Destruction, Shuggie and San Francisco they could have an album of non-stop hits. But they do like to ramble on like old hippies sometimes so hey thats why they're here and not in the album list. WATCH THE VIDEO ITS AMAZING.

Ed Harcourt - The Way That I Live



Dont let the title to the video of the above put you off, I haven't started taking sponsored ads in my blog. This track by Ed Harcourt was hidden in full view of a million dollar christmas advert by Burberry featuring an on-screen debut of young Romeo Beckham. Its got 8m views on Youtube and was my tip for UK Xmas No.1 so naturally it topped out at no.88 and disappeared from the chart completely within 1 day. ONE DAY! Wtf England?

Its beautiful, its got that drunken raw vocal reminiscent of Shane Macgowan on Fairytale of New York and its by one of the most under-appreciated singer-songwriters of our generation, it had all the boxes checked for a "GET ED TO XMAS NO.1 CAMPAIGN" but it didnt, bah humbug!

Eagulls - Possessed




I took a friend to see these at the beginning of the year at the Mercury Lounge, he went along completely blind to who they were having never heard a single note. What sold him was my simple description of "Like a screamy version of The Cure" or it may have been the free ticket, I cant remember. After an hour of getting his ears assaulted in one of NYC's smallest and best venues, he turned to me and said that the description was spot on, at least I think thats what he said, I couldnt hear him cos they had just blown away any remnants of hearing ability I had left. Fantastic live band and a very good debut album too.

Jungle - Busy Earnin'


CHOOOOOON! That's all I have to say about this. Actually no its not, im really annoyed that I cant get this album (legally) in the US and I forgot to buy it while in the UK at Christmas. OK, now Im done, listen to it and jiggle your head from side to side like Im doing now.

Perfume Genius - Queen


This purely makes the cut for the line "No family is safe, when I sashay". Jokes, Perfume Genius' album has got a lot of plaudits this year, so I definitely recommend checking it out, I struggled to find songs on it though that were as likeable as this one.

Its about this time in the blog that i realise there's a TON of stone cold tunes I want to put here that arent in any of my top albums so in order to save time can i just make sure you're all on board with the following tracks Thunder Clatter - Wild Cub, Back to the Shack - Weezer, Bread for Brat - The Hidden Camera's and im sure Ronson's instant classic Uptown Funk and Hozier's Take Me To Church dont even need hyperlinks right?

ALBUMS

Did anyone else notice that 2014 was quite front loaded as far as quality music goes? Pretty much all of my favourite music happened in the first half of the year and then it went a bit quiet really after that. Because of this I've lived with most of the albums below for what seems like a very long time and therefore they feel like ancient classics rather than artists latest releases.

Before I get into my top 10 here's some albums that didnt make it but I still really enjoyed this year. Stars  - No One is Lost, Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbot - What Have We Become, Jessie Ware - Tough Love, St Vincent - St Vincent, Alt-J - This is All Yours, Karen O - Crush Songs, Sun Kil Moon - Benji and finally Spoon - They Want My Soul.

10. Damon Albarn - Everyday Robots




The fact that I forgot about this album in my first draft of this blog sums up my feeling towards it really. I love Damon, he was undoubtedly my gig of the year at Governors Ball this year, his passion live is unmatched, hes just a joy to watch and as he interspersed the set with Gorillaz and Blur tunes you didnt get the lull of some of the more miserable tracks on this record. The reason it makes the top 10 over some other more complete albums is that there is 4 very good tracks on this album (Everyday Robots, Lonely Press Play, Mr Tembo and Heavy Seas of Love) which outshine songs on the records i mentioned above. Unfortunately the rest of the album I found to be too safe, too plodding and not very interesting im afraid.

9. Slow Club - Complete Surrender



I cant tell you how happy I am to have Slow Club in my top 10. Long time Sheffield indie hero's broke free from their folk shackles this year and released the diva in Rebecca Taylor to produce a blistering motown soul record which showcases her amazing vocal range. She's also hilarious on Twitter, a Sheffield Wednesday fan and a total babe *swoon*.

8. Jenny Lewis - The Voyager




Getting this years "I TOLD YOU SO" award from the wife is this album from Jenny Lewis. After years of subtly pushing Miss Lewis into my consciousness it became a lot harder to resist in 2014 as she released an album packed full of sing-along pop / country hits. It didnt take long for each song to worm its way into my brain as I found myself singing along almost unwittingly, she's just that catchy.

7. Jack White - Lazaretto



The Willy Wonka of Vinyl really earned his title this year by releasing this fantastic successor to Blunderbuss his debut solo LP. A more fun record to his previous, Ol' Jacky White tells stories about Three Women he has on the go, Drinking and being sent to an isolation hospital where people get treated for leprosy.... OK maybe it wasnt all fun. He spits out rhymes like a west coast rapper on some tracks and just seems to be having a jolly good time. The result is his best record since his White Stripes prime. Lordy, Lord!

6. Embrace - Embrace

 


Well hello old friend, welcome to the new world, this is called Facebook and this is called Twitter here's how you use them... oh wait no dont do that with it, no that's a bit intrusive, ouch! OK if you want I spose.... What's a forum? Despite the Social Media hullabaloo that came with this return from the yorkshire boys, of which I have a lengthy past, this album is an absolute triumph which must be celebrated, by the old fans, by new fans and certainly by the band itself. It sounds like Nine Inch Nails if they were coached by Simon Cowell and still manages to come out sounding great. By that I mean it has the industrial noise and dark tones of NIN but its unashamedly cheesy pop still at its heart, which is why Embrace will never be cool! But goddamnit they're talented and I dont care who knows.

5. Kevin Drew - Darlings



Get the body butter baby lets go party all alone... Thats the line that starts this album and it pretty much sets the tone. Sexy, full of humour, its Broken Social Scene condensed and concentrated. If you're a BSS fan and you dont own this album go and get it, cos its just as good if not better than their full band albums. It might be not be as large, or as sprawling as a BSS album, its more focused and thats a very good thing. Its got the hooks, its got the melody and its certainly got the best of Kevins lyrics.

4. Bombay Bicycle Club - So Long, See You Tomorrow




Where in blue hell did this come from?!? I've followed BBC for a very long time, and I will never forget the first time we saw them at the Barfly in Camden, they were first on the bill at 12.30pm for the XFM All Dayer about 7 years ago I think. There were about 10 of us in the room, 6 of which were me and my friends. A bunch of nerds took the stage and produced some insanely catchy guitar music which literally made my jaw drop, i turned around to look at my friends and they all had the same expression. This album produced that expression 7 years on, a complete departure musically from that cold day in January but still very much them nerds putting out track after track of what I can only describe as indie r'n'b pop?! The album is packed full of singles, and has rightly propelled them onto Radio 1 A-lists, Festival headliners and sell out mega tours. Well done boys!

3. Kelis - Food



11 years after Kelis brought her Milkshake to the yard she returns with a full compliment of entrees in this concept album based on food accompanied by Food Network shows and recipe books et al. Of course to hark back to her biggest hit 11 years ago is a little unfair, Kelis has gone through several re-inventions since then, not forgetting her fantastic house album of a few years ago. One constant in all her re-inventions though is her soulful vocals, so it shouldnt be any surprise that she has finally made an all-out soul album. Its certainly no surprise that its bloody great because if you didnt know already Kelis is a goddess and can do no wrong.

2. Broken Bells - After the Disco



Yep. Broken Bells. Broken Bells? Yes. Im as surprised as you are that this is my no.2 pick for the year. Truth is, I didnt really like Broken Bells first album, y'know the one that everyone else did? So why then do I like this 2nd album so much when it appears to have been completely ignored by everyone in the music press (how would I know if I havent read any 2014 lists, you ask? Good question...). The answer is very simple, its way more upbeat than the first album and i'm a sucker for disco funky indie which Dangermouse has now pretty much nailed. Its a mixture of Gorillaz and Black Keys' El Camino, in fact this album really could've been the latest Black Keys album but im guessing after hearing the latest Black Keys album Dangermouse decided to give his Broken Bells project all of the good tunes rather than them cos that new album is utter shit! In the hands of The Shins vocalist what would've been a bluesy funky romp turns into a funky disco romp and its glorious. All killer no filler.

1. The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream




Ahhhhhhhhhhhh! This is not just my album of the year, its approaching one of my favourite albums in the last 10 years. Its completely dumbfounding, by all rights I should hate it. The singer sounds like a cross between Dylan / Springsteen (not my faves), the length of the songs are bordering on prog-rock levels, there's a fair amount of lead which by any other band I wouldve wrote off as fret-wanking pointlessness. BUT, but... GODDAMN its so good it makes me want to cry. Its totally all about the music, I have paid no attention to the lyrics, the rhythm and melodies are very repetitive and rarely has a chorus of such. But by each iteration of the verse something new will appear, a lick of a guitar or a slight change in the way he delivers the lyric and it just propels it forward. Because of this repetitiveness you feel every change of tempo, every little nuance that differentiates it from the last verse and its totally exhilarating. I listened to it most during summer on my way to singing lessons in Montclair, NJ, it was always dark and it was a good hours drive round trip and it's absolutely perfect for those conditions - dark and driving. Completely useless for trying to practice my vocal warm ups as its not really a sing along album, but totally great for rocking out banging on the steering wheel as the groove of each track is intertwined into every part of your body and you find yourself shifting in your seat, bobbing your head, tapping your fingers, tapping your foot (not the one on the accelerator) and then yelping when he gets excited and the outro of An Ocean In Between in the Waves kicks in. Months after playing it constantly I read a great article, I think on pitchfork, about how mentally unstable he was during the recording process and how it was such a difficult album to finish it almost killed him. It blew my mind that such a masterpiece can come from such difficult circumstances. So... yeah... go listen to it, a man almost died creating it you heathens.

Biggest Disappointments

Some of my favourite artists released albums this year and only a couple made the top 10. Two albums I havent even mentioned so Im calling them out here. First of all The Black Keys album Turn Blue is the biggest let down, after Brothers and El Camino I expected great things, but Turn Blue just feels rushed. It sounds like the leftovers from El Camino which didnt make the grade, I can only summise that the record label told them they wanted another album to capitalise on El Caminos success. What you got was a great single (Fever) and then a watered down MOR insult of an album to people who paid good money.

Lastly I'll end with Ryan Adams, his latest self titled album is so boring I couldnt name you a track off it other than the lead single Gimme Something Good. That single was ok, it certainly didnt excite me for the album and it turned out to be a good indication for what was a severely underwhelming comeback. Live though he's still got it, and some of the tracks off the new album did sound better when we heard them at the Hammerstein Ballroom late last year, but still, I havent returned to it since then and doubt I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment