Pages

Friday 8 January 2016

My Best of 2015 List

Hello and welcome back, I hope you had a lovely 2015. Before we close the book on last year I thought i'd share with you some of my favourite albums and tracks of the year. This is the 6th year ive done this blog which frankly amazes me that ive stuck to something that long.

I bought 25 albums released in 2015, yes that's right BOUGHT, I own them. I feel like every year I should mention this. I do use Spotify, but mainly for research purposes and as a kind of radio, if I like an album I still go and pay for it. I see it as an investment in the artist, I want them to be able to afford to make another album. Its now quite apparent that streaming on its own cannot support a band, especially the ones that I tend to like so its really important that you support the artist in whatever way you like, just know that your Spotify streams arent gonna be enough.

Anyway, preach over, lets get to the music. As usual ive started with some of my favourite tracks of the year which dont feature in the top 10 albums below:

Top Tracks

If you prefer to just listen to my favourite songs of the year without all of my ramblings you can subscribe to my 2015 playlist on Spotify.

Some of my favourite tracks this year have actually been mega-hits so im not going to give them much space and instead share the ones that havent had a billion plays on Youtube / radio. But for the record I think my overall favourite songs of 2015 are probably Cant Feel My Face by the Weeknd, Loud Places by Jamie XX, Hotline Bling, Drake, King Kunta, Kendrick Lamar and Feel Right by Mark Ronson and Mystikal (which incidentally has the best video of the year below).

THIS WONT EMBED AND ITS DRIVING ME NUTS.(IMAGINE THE MARK RONSON SONG "FEEL RIGHT" HERE)

Paddy goes pop! Im going mainstream in my old age.

OR AM I... One of my favourite new artists of 2015 not to release an album, Lapsley was one of a number of great artists touted in the BBC Sound of 2015 list. She's like a trip-hop version of Adele, minimal instrumentation, great chilled vibe and really interesting, unlike Adele. As well as the below song check out Dancing, Understudy, Falling Short and Hurt Me. The album is one to watch out for in 2016.



A change of pace now - Titus Andronicus' front man has the wild stare of a crazy person, or just imagine Oscar the Grouch in human form. Then imagine him singing full throttle, balls out rock like the below highlight from their 2015 album - The Most Lamentable Tragedy. Its immense.




Another tip from the BBC Sound of 2015 list and his album just missed out on my top 10. Its got some great tracks on it with this probably being the highlight.

Top Albums

I found it really hard to order these this year, I could quite happily switch my top 3, middle 4 and bottom 3 on a daily basis and there's some fantastic records who just missed out on the top 10 from Hot Chip, Shamir, The Maccabees, Disclosure, Everything Everything... too many to mention here. But for the sake of brevity go and check out the above as well as the below. They're all good. Have I ever let you down? Dont answer that...

NUMBER 10

Foals - What Went Down

WHEN I SEE A MAN I SEE A LIAR! Shouts little Yannis in the chorus of the opening track of another blinding album from Foals. If I had more time with this album I could see it moving up my list, but its probably the album ive spent least time with due it only being released relatively recently. What I can tell you is its probably the most consistent of all the Foals albums but doesnt necessarily reach the highs of previous efforts, but in the same breath doesnt have the dips in quality either as the earlier releases. Its just solid all the way through.



NUMBER 9

Blur - The Magic Whip

Writing this it feels wrong to put them at number 9, they're my favourite band surely they released my favourite album of the year? I couldnt do it though. Dont get me wrong, this is a fantastic Blur album, way better than anyone could expect when you hear how it was born from a a few days jam session during a break in touring. Graham took it upon himself to attone for his previous sins in the band by going ahead and fashioning a new blur album out of recordings which were all but dead. There's some fantastic tracks too - Lonesome Street, Go Out, Ong Ong, Terracotta Heart, Ghost Ship. But it's not higher than this due to a few of the maudlin misery which peppered Damon's solo LP - Im looking at you New World Towers, Pyongyang and Mirror Ball. Still, Im over the moon it was released and I got to see them SOUNDCHECK in a tiny venue in Brooklyn for the release of this record, which will go down as one of the most amazing days of my life - thanks to my mate Felix.



NUMBER 8

Matthew E. White - Fresh Blood

Matthew E. White's 7 track debut showed a lot of promise but ultimately I felt it lacked tunes. In this follow up he rights those wrongs with hook upon hook, humourous lyrics and that velvety voice of his. Its definitely a retro sound but I struggle to pigeon-hole it into soul or rock. Its just goddamn funky as hell and I cant recommend it enough.



NUMBER 7

Tobias Jesso Jr. - Goon

Unlike Matthew E. White, TJJr (an acronym im sure he's never had used before) is very easy to pigeon-hole. He's a pansy-assed piano balladeer! Y'know the kind - John Lennon - Imagine, Elton John heck even Billy Joel. Those guys. Its a hark back to the 70's sure, but nothing about this album feels hokey. The songs are strong enough to stand alone and still feel contemporary. Go see him live with his band "Duk" and its a different story though - they're brilliant together.




NUMBER 6

Will Butler - Policy

*QUIRKY SIDE PROJECT KLAXON* Yes, this is Will Butler, the quieter of the Butler's in the mega-band Arcade Fire. I never really take side projects that seriously, which is why it is amazing that there are not one but two side projects in my top 10 this year. There's definitely hints of Arcade Fire at their most ram-shackle, but as a whole its a bit more diverse and sharper. There's definite hints of Talking Heads at times, which can only be a good thing. Lyrically its quite honest too, less mystique around it than AF, as witnessed in the track Finish What I Started - where Will bemoans his inability of being able to finishing anything. At 9 tracks it does feel like he gave up or couldnt be bothered making it a round 10 too. Im all for lean albums though, this is perfect at 9 tracks, it feels succinct, it feels like he made an album which encapsulates all sides of his personality, got to 9 and thought "Nope, this is it, ive nailed it".




NUMBER 5

Tame Impala - Currents

Lonerism really broke Tame Impala but I didnt really get it. It was too much like a jam for me, a bit hippy-ish and meandered too often. It had some good tracks but overall I chalked it off as not for me. So when this new album launched with "Cause, Im a Man" I was taken aback, it was like an 80's soul tune. A total shift from what I had in mind for Tame Impala. Something Kevin Parker said in an interview also intrigued me, im paraphrasing here but he wanted to show people he wasnt a one-trick pony and really wanted this album to show the full breadth of what they could do. He wasn't wrong, Currents is great, has depth, tunes and sounds different to a lot of bands out there today. Its a great album to put on in the background and get shit done as it ebbs and flows beautifully.





NUMBER 4

Sleater-Kinney - No Cities to Love

I'm ashamed to say that this is the first Sleater-Kinney album I ever listened to, they passed me by the first time round. However, the first singles got played a lot on radio here so I had a listen to the album on Spotify and pretty much soon after that I bought it. Its one of those rare pure rock records thats all killer, no filler. Perfect 3 minute, guitar, drums, vox rock songs. If, like me, you hadnt heard much by SK, check this out first, its a great introduction to a legendary band.





Number 3

El Vy - Return to the Moon

There's a definite theme emerging from this list of albums that had no right to be as good as they turned out to be. 2 bands returning from lengthy absences (Blur / Sleater-Kinney) and 2 side projects from big indie bands, Will Butler and now El Vy. This is Matt Berninger of The National alongside Brent Knopf of Menomena. If you know me, one of those people is my idol. But still, its a side project, I wasn't THAT excited.. until i heard the first single Return to the Moon. Then I got excited. It was fun, it was catchy, it had the lyrics of The National but more upbeat and funny. The National are a serious band, El Vy is Matt cutting loose, literally letting his hair down (HELLO INDIE THOR!) and teaming up with the always quirky Brent Knopf. Lets not underestimate his part here either, the arrangement of these tracks and the diversity of sounds contained within them are what sets them apart from The National. No, Matt wouldnt be allowed to write "Im peaceful cos' my dick's in sunlight" in his own band, but its really Brent which sets El Vy apart from the two's main projects. There's 3 - 4 big tunes, but the rest of the album is a grower and live they really come good too. You can turn off the quirky side project klaxon, cos this is a legit album of the year contender.



NUMBER 2

Kitty, Daisy and Lewis - III

It was over 10 years ago now that I attended Glastonbury, it rained of course and I was hating every moment of it. The crowds, the mud and the miles you had to walk from one stage to the other. It was like an Iron Man challenge if I had known what that was at the time. But in a small circus tent approximately 50 miles from the Pyramid Stage I saw a band comprised of 3 siblings, 2 girls and 1 boy no older than 12/13. They were backed by their parents on double bass and drums. The boy was dressed like Elvis Presley in a jacket too large for him and a slick quiff while the two girls were similarly 50's themed vamp looking. They played rock n roll, blues and soul, really bloody well. They took it in turns on vocals, swapping instruments in between every song as the parents watched on proudly. WHO ARE THESE FREAKS IN A CIRCUS TENT?! I wondered quietly. I even forgot for a moment that I was in a 1000 acre cesspit that I would likely die in by the end of the weekend. I will always remember those kids for briefly elevating me from that horrible weekend and reminding me it was supposed to be about music. Fast forward 10+ years and those kids are onto their 3rd album and unsurprisingly they're really good. Some of the best blues, rock n roll and soul you'll hear in 2015 and its coming from 3 posh white kids. Honestly, go listen to the whole album and thank yourself you're not at Glastonbury.




NUMBER 1

Ezra Furman - Perpetual Motion People

I only heard of Ezra Furman this year as a tip off from my lovely gig pigs back in London. As usual they were spot on. But I think I've now passed them in my love for Ezra. You see, Perpetual Motion People is a special record. It's a career defining record which takes us on a tour of Ezra's "Haunted Head" his hangups, his depression his coming to terms with who he is. Its beautiful, its sad, its funny, its raucous but through each song there's a thread of optimism which never leaves so it doesnt feel like a sad record. He tackles his gender fluidity for the first time in a manner only he could, with humour and honesty and this is the first record he's toured dressing as a female when he felt liked it. Live he is a force to be reckoned with, he cant weigh more than 7 stone and performs like a Jim Henson creation being electrified every few seconds. His band compliment the muppet frontman perfectly constantly moving and dancing with the sax player almost stealing the show on several occasions. Its such an experience you have to witness it. All this is backed up by the strength of the new material on PMP. Ezra is a poet of Dylan proportions at times, you really feel like he poured everything into this record. There's no wart left unpicked by the end of it and its so cathartic for the listener, I can only imagine what it was like for him. 


No comments:

Post a Comment